Thursday 1 April 2010

Assignment 5a - Research Proposal for 'Underage Drinking'

Within semester one of Design Studies I began exploring the problem of underage drinking using literature as the method of research trying to understand some of the causes and results. This assignment will explain how previous assignments I have completed could be beneficial to my research and in what way to aid further research, also why particular methods may not be so beneficial.

Firstly I would further my literature research as this would be the most effective way of finding out about technology and innovations which already exist helping to prevent or deal with this problem.
To allow me to begin understanding this problem and the extent of it I think that interviewing would be one of my preferred methods. This is because I feel it would give me a variation of perspectives and opinions by interviewing for example, the police whom have to deal with these underage drinkers, families of the drinkers, small shop owners whom seem to be one of the main sources for alcohol for kids that drink on the streets, also staff and bouncers of pubs.


I could also use this method within an Accident & Emergency department as they see the results of underage drinking first hand. Using the interview technique here would allow me to get to the truth about what happens within the department. With permission, speaking to patients, family members, staff and porters would allow me to gather data on the reasons why the drinkers ended up in hospital, the extent of possible injuries that can occur, what effect it has on everyone involved, if it is a usual occurrence etc. I think this would be a valuable area to look into.


Policing is another avenue that I can follow up on as they could tell me what problems they face day-to-day with the underage drinkers. This may be a problem as they may not be willing to allow me to assist them or I may be putting myself at risk. I could possibly assist a “special constable” instead or community warden which may be safer. They could give me information on campaigns i.e.” challenge 21”, “Alcohol Awareness Weeks” etc. as well as where local youths are known to congregate and consume alcohol and their powers to confiscate any alcohol found. Under-age drinkers are known to conceal alcohol in bottles labelled as soft drinks and now police officers are equipped with alcohol-testing strips, I would try to find out more about methods of prevention like this and how effective they are.

I could also interview the public in different bars, they maybe more willing to speak in a comfortable environment about how they feel regarding underage drinking and youngsters drinking in the pubs, also whether an “old man pub” or a “trendy pub” makes any difference to the outcome of the questions. Although they may be intoxicated therefore the answer may not be viable.


Interviewing teenagers in general could be an option as I would get their first hand experience and being young myself they may be more willing to speak to me. Although the information I gather there is likely to be exaggeration, boasting, gossip, and stories can get altered a bit. One on one would be more awkward for myself and the subject so it might be easier to interview in groups or a few people where they would probably be more willing to open up although stories more embellished and unreliable and so this may not be valid research.


Speaking to families of the underage children is a good idea, finding out whether parents were aware of the extent of the problem. If they know about the problem, do they do anything to stop it or do they feel that they cannot control it or the fact it is out of sight out of mind and they can’t keep kids locked up. This method may not work as it would only touch the surface, I am not trained in these particular situations or how to go about asking personal questions therefore asking questions in the wrong way may offend. The right person asking the right questions may be needed for this.


Pub staff and bouncers would also be worth interviewing as they have an idea of how many people they have to refuse or remove from the premises for being underage. I could find out whether pubs in different areas and which areas, have more trouble although they may not be willing to divulge this information in case they get into trouble.  Maybe they would be more likely to speak in a more comfortable environment, another pub for example, then they would be more likely to chat and be open than they would at their work place.


I think that small corner shops for example may be willing to tell me the problems which they have with the kids hanging about out side of the shops, the damage they cause and the abuse they give other customers. It is likely they would not be willing to say if they sell drink to kids. It might be worthwhile asking in different areas as there might be a pattern developing of where the problem areas are.

Although this method can be really helpful in most cases there seems to be a limit to how far I could go with it. On the other hand, observation as a form of research I feel would be especially informative in finding the habits of the underage drinkers, how they get their drink, where they manage to buy it, and what type of person would buy for an underage person.  This can produce a pattern maybe typical to one type of shop or to poor areas or even privileged areas in and around town.  With this type of monitoring a pattern of time can be established whereby policing at and around the high points can maybe deter the underage drinkers from using this method which is usually approaching adults and asking them to purchase alcohol on their behalf. Although from my own experience of watching kid’s hanging about on the street, they do not seem to be intimidated by the police whatsoever, more that the kids are the intimidating ones.
All in all I would say that observation would be the best method of research allowing me to gather the most information and I could see for myself the truths regarding underage drinking and I could document my findings, taking notes for example then could use the method of interviewing to back up those findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment